CTC Staff Profile: Diana Carpenter

Diana Q. Carpenter is a program developer and Plus 50 coordinator in the UAA Community & Technical College’s Continuing Education Department.

Q
Diana Carpenter, Program Developer/Plus 50 Coordinator
Diana Carpenter
Program Developer/Plus 50 Coordinator
: Why did you want to work in higher education?

A: It’s surprising to me when I realize that my experience in higher education spans more than 20 years. The first time I realized I could facilitate the process of someone seeing a different future for himself or herself I was hooked. I have always been drawn to work where I feel that I’m making a positive difference in someone’s life, and creating opportunities for education is so important.

I didn’t know how much I would love teaching until I accepted my first teaching job on a Friday for a class that started the following Monday. I prepared what I thought were several hours of material which I then completed in 20 minutes! That was a long time ago! I enjoy the challenge of thinking on my feet and finding the best way to reach each student. Working with adult learners who need positive educational experiences is important and rewarding work, and I love being involved in it!

Q: What is your background prior to accepting your current role at CTC?
A: One of the most important aspects of my professional background has been working with students from diverse cultures and socioeconomic conditions in Alaska and in Denver, Colo. Cultural background is one of many factors that influences learning style. Although cultural differences are often subtle, they can have a significant impact on how students learn. This experience helped me become skilled at adjusting my teaching to reach each student.

I have had many unique opportunities to develop curriculum for different environments and to teach in a variety of settings including vocational classrooms, the public school system, and in private and public universities.

Q: What excites you about this position in particular? More generally, what do you enjoy most about your profession?
A: I love the varied opportunities within the Continuing Education Department. I get to be creative with curriculum development, I get to organize projects, and I get to teach. It’s the perfect job! Besides that, I work with a great team and have the chance to be part of building something new that’s contributing to our community.

Q: Are you originally from Alaska? What do you most enjoy about the state?
A: Right after college, my husband and I drove to Alaska from Washington state simply for the adventure. We fell in love with it, purchased an underground house in Chugiak, and started our family. An exciting work opportunity led us to move to Denver, but our hearts were always in Alaska and we returned after seven years.

As a family, we have enjoyed many exciting times while fishing and boating on various rivers throughout Prince William Sound. We love to snow machine and are slowly building our dream cabin on property near Sheep Creek.

Q: What are your hobbies and interests?
A: When not enjoying the outdoors I love to read, listen to NPR podcasts, go for walks, and spend time with family and friends.
Share on :
CTC Staff Profile: Diana Carpenter
CTC Staff Profile: Diana Carpenter
Reviewed by sakerso mawon
Published :
Rating : 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment