Lee Henrikson uses technology to enhance learning

Lee Henrikson is an instructional designer for the Beyond Anchorage grant awarded to the Community & Technical College in September 2011 by the U.S. Department of Labor. The grant provides funding for targeted training and workforce development efforts to help economically dislocated workers.

CTC is using the grant to offer e-learning opportunities through its architectural & engineering technology program. Students at three of UAA’s community campuses – Kenai Peninsula College, Kodiak College and Prince William Sound Community College – will have the option to pursue an architectural engineering certificate beginning in fall 2013.

Lee Henrikson
Lee Henrikson, Instructional Designer
Q: Why did you want to work in higher education?
A: My background is in technology and education. As an instructional designer, I can satisfy my passions for teaching and learning as well as technology. Because technology has created widespread changes in our society, education and lifelong learning are critical for people to be successful. I derive great satisfaction in helping people learn and teach with technology.

Q: What is your background prior to accepting your current role at CTC?
A: My undergraduate degree is in earth sciences from Dartmouth College. I have had many careers before settling on instructional design. I managed a food co-op and traded commodities before earning a certificate for system administration at Foothill College in Los Altos, Calif. In my six years as a system administrator at the SETI Institute (Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence), I set up networks at radio telescopes around the world for the observing program and took care of the computers – PCs, Macs, and several variants of Unix. Alaska and marriage beckoned, and I left the SETI Institute in 2000. Once here, I earned a Master of Arts in teaching from Alaska Pacific University in 2003 and substitute taught until 2005.

In 2005, I was hired by UAA as an instructional designer for a grant awarded to the College of Education. For five years, I worked to help move programs online. I then spent two years at the Faculty Technology Center providing technical and pedagogical support to faculty, working with IT Services on Blackboard and eLive upgrades, teaching workshops, and more.

Q: What excites you about this position in particular? More generally, what do you enjoy most about your profession?
A: I was hired to work with the architectural & engineering technology (AET) faculty in response to CTC being awarded the Beyond Anchorage grant. I like working with faculty because if I can help them be more successful, then students are more successful. Working with a small group of dedicated faculty is a great opportunity. I am intrigued by the challenges of moving AET courses online.

Q: Are you originally from Alaska? If not, what brought you here?
A: I met my husband (from Palmer, Alaska) in June of 2000 at an aikido camp. Aikido is a Japanese martial art in which we both hold black belts. By December of 2000, I was married and living in Palmer. We live in the historic district in downtown Palmer with two border collies and three chickens.

Q: What are your hobbies and interests?
A: My activities include hiking, cross country skiing, gardening, bike riding, watching movies, reading, cooking, eating good food, and tai chi. My husband and I are very active with the new community radio station in the Palmer area, KVRF 89.5 FM. I do most of the station marketing as well as the morning show with him on Mondays. I am also board president.
Share on :
Lee Henrikson uses technology to enhance learning
Lee Henrikson uses technology to enhance learning
Reviewed by sakerso mawon
Published :
Rating : 4.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

personal, fashion, travel, loan, insurance, health, real estate, home, marketing, personal, fashion, travel, loan, insurance, health, real estate, home, marketing,